By now you’ve seen how much damage can be incurred by your obsession with sugar and carbs like pasta, bread, and grains. You’ve heard me explain how it depletes your good gut bacteria, fans the flames of inflammation, and sets the stage for illness and disease.
Among the most startling things I’ve learned during my research on sugar, gut health, and inflammation is how it directly relates to the brain.
We tend to think our brains are isolated from digestive woes, weight gain, and other symptoms happening in other parts of our body. But, we are so very wrong.
In “Brain Maker” written by neurologist Dr. David Perlmutter, I was awakened to exactly how much of what goes on in our gut, impacts our brain. So when you consider how too much sugar and heavy carbs wreak havoc on the gut, you begin to realize the symptoms we often face like:
- “Foggy-brain” / inability to concentrate
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
It can very likely be traced back to their root cause – often a depletion of gut bacteria, nutrient deficiencies and other imbalances caused by those damn sugar cravings!!
Let’s first do some math, so we have an appreciation for how many people are suffering from brain-related diseases: *
- 1 in 4 adults in the U.S. (more than 26% of the population) suffers from some diagnosed mental disorder
- Anxiety disorders afflict more than 40 million Americans
- Nearly 10% of all U.S. adults are prescribed drug for mood disorder
- Depression impacts 1 in 10 of us including a quarter of women in their 40’s and 50’s.
- Depression is now the leading cause of DISABILITY worldwide, and diagnoses are growing!
- Prozac and Zoloft are among the most often prescribed drugs in the nation
- Nearly half the adult population suffer from at least one headache/migraine per month
- MS affections nearly 2 million people worldwide, close to half a million in the U.S. alone
*Statistics cited from Brain Maker
And to be clear, these illnesses are impacting REAL people and REAL families.
These are not just inconveniences – these disorders cause real pain and suffering through the diminished quality of life and financial cost to name a few. As a society, we are missing out on potential innovations as headaches alone cause more than 160 million lost work days each year in the U.S. resulting in about $30 billion a year in medical expenses based on a study from the National Pain Association.
So what exactly is going on?
Well, it would take a volume of pages to explain it all in details but to keep it simple, here’s what’s going on.
Peer-reviewed, scientific studies are showing that our brains and guts are actively communicating via the Vagus Nerve. The health of our micro biome is essential to our overall health, including our brain health.
In my opinion, the research is undeniable that our gut bugs participate in a variety of functions in the body including:
- Immune system functioning
- Neurotransmitter and vitamin production
- Nutrient absorption
- Appetite signaling (hungry/full)
- Utilization of nutrients from food (carbs and fat)
When the gut is healthy and thriving we are less likely to experience allergies, asthma, ADHD, develop cancer, diabetes or dementia.
Given all the things that can – and do often – go wrong when the gut is in disarray, it seems unfathomable that some people are so nonchalant about taking care of their gut by doing the relatively simple things like –
- Cutting out the heavy breads and grains
- Skipping the refined and added sugar
- Drinking and eating cultured foods
- Eating in prebiotic foods (probiotics feed the good bacteria in our gut making them happy and healthy)
- Supplementing with a broad spectrum probiotic supplement daily
Losing my mind is one of the things that I’ve always been most scared about! Losing my ability to control my body, to recall memories, recognize faces, and take care of myself. There has never been a red velvet or chocolate molten lava cakes, bread or pizza that’s worth damaging my brain.
Now, I’m not saying you can NEVER eat those things – that would be absurd. However, our American obsession with all things sweet and breaded really needs a serious and QUICK intervention! Your future health depends on it.
Luckily, I can help.
My new program “The Sugar Break-Up Plan” is just where you should begin. Let me guide you step-by-step through the process of ending your addiction to sugar.
I’ve gone from the girl who hid slices of cake in her kitchen and ate baguettes of bread weekly to one that no longer needs sugar and carbs to make it through the day. These days, I have natural energy and a slimmer waist too!
I’ve learned how to make sweet treats that satisfy me. They are packed with good-for-me ingredients which don’t send my blood sugar soaring and crashing.
Ironically, life is so much sweeter these days, more than it ever was when I was addicted to sugar. You need to join me; it’s way more fun over here!