A quick and nutrient-dense salad which can be had alone or as a main course. Packed with fiber, protein and healthy fats, this is a super satisfying salad. Enjoy!
- 1 pound asparagus
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice from ½ medium lemon
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh basil
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1½ cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 cups coarsely chopped baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup small grape tomatoes
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Shaved Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Fill a medium bowl with ice and cold water. Cut asparagus on the diagonal into ⅛-inch thick slices.
- Blanch in boiling salted water for 2 minutes, then immediately transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice water. Let cool, then drain and pat dry.
- While asparagus is blanching, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice and minced basil in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Add asparagus, basil leaves, chickpeas, spinach, tomatoes and onion to bowl. Toss to mix, and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide salad among four plates. Top with Parmesan cheese if desired, and serve immediately.