A few weeks ago, on the coldest day in NYC this winter (which was the rescheduled date, the original date of the event was the day Snow Storm Jonas hit NYC!), I hosted a nutrition talk at Ode To Babel here in Brooklyn. Due to the extremely cold temperatures turn-out was low BUT I showed up and gave it my all anyway.
Fortunately, the Universe conspired to help me NOT feel like a loser and I ended up with a great group of engaged participants! They loved the information I gave them on ways to gain more energy, make healthier food choices and improve all areas of their life. A healthy body is just the first step in achieving those larger goals that most of us have but it is an important first step!
In addition to the nutrition talk, I demo’ed a smoothie recipe from my friend Chef Jay a.k.a The Meditating Chef — make sure you follow him on Instagram at: @themeditatingchef. You’ll hear more from him in my blog shortly — he’s working on an awesome recipe for me to share with you guys!!
So back to this smoothie — it’s a dairy-free Pistachio Smoothie Milkshake and it is DELICIOUS! Seriously, so good! When I first looked at the ingredients I thought there was a typo because he was calling it a Pistachio Milkshake Smoothie and yet pistachios weren’t part of the ingredients?! I was confused…until I made the smoothie at home. The blend of ingredients make this taste JUST like pistachio without needing to add any!
It’s heavenly but you don’t have to take my word for it — check out this video and hear it from Michele Hardiman of Petal & Vine Studio (florists; check them out on Instagram too)!
And now for the recipe! A few notes to consider:
- To make it more “milkshake” like – add a lot of ice and keep it thick
- I juiced 1 5oz. package of organic baby spinach for this event. You can skip that step if you have a great blender and just add the spinach in raw
- DO NOT omit the almond extract! That is the “secret” key ingredient!
- DO add a high-quality protein powder! As you can see in the video above I used Bulletproof Collagen protein
- ¼ cup spinach juice
- 1 avocado, pitted
- ½ teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 cup (or more) Vanilla Almond milk unsweetened
- Organic raw honey, to taste
- Juice enough spinach to get desired amount. Spinach Juice is important to recipe and color.
- Add everything in blender and blend until creamy. Serve immediately.
- Get creative and add in ground flaxseed or chia seeds to boost your Omega 3, fiiber and protein intake! You can also add in a tablespoon of melted coconut oil if you'd like.
Drop me a note and let me know how you like this one. When it gets really hot outside or I feel like a special treat, I can see a lot of this in my future!
P.S. I’ll be hosting a FREE Webinar on Weight Loss, Tuesday, March 15th at 7pm ET. If you want to learn the “secret” to weight loss that your doctor won’t tell you (I wish mind had years ago), register now. More than exercising and cutting back on calories alone, this one thing led to my eventual and long-lasting success. CLICK HERE to register!