When most of us think about sugar, we visualize sweet desserts even though we know it’s not good for us. We are aware it can lead to diabetes and extra pounds around our waist, and we believe that’s really the extent of it. Even the risk of diabetes does little to curb our behavior. Let’s face it, MILLIONS of people live with diabetes, even people in our own families. Sure, it’s inconvenient to inject insulin and test blood sugar levels a few times a day, but it’s LIVE-ABLE. Or, we move along thinking “It’ll never happen to me.” Right? WRONG!
Sugar is a MUCH bigger problem, and the effects of unchecked sugar cravings go way deeper than most people recognize.
Here’s just a few little-known ways sugar is robbing you of the life you deserve:
- You think social media and technology are the reasons you can’t concentrate on anything for more than a few minutes. You may be partially correct but if you’re addicted to sugar, believe me, it’s impacting your ability to think clearly also.
- Severe PMS symptoms – sore breasts, fatigue, acne, intense cramps – thank your sugar addiction.
- Can’t sleep at night or stay asleep? Yeah, you can thank sugar for throwing off your circadian rhythm.
- Always tired DESPITE the amount of sugar you consume? Yes, that’s sugar sending your glucose levels on a roller coaster ride from extremely high to very low and taking all of your energy with it.
- Low sex drive? Sugar is playing a role in that also.
To be clear, when I say sugar I’m using it as a general term that includes carbohydrates like bread, pasta, rice, white potatoes, candy, pastries, baked goods, AND even alcohol!
I get it as I was in the same boat years ago; I wouldn’t have classified myself as a sugar addict AT ALL. Looking back, though, I suffered from all 5 of those symptoms I listed earlier. And through my education, I’ve come to learn that the root cause of all of it comes back to my poor diet and the amount of sugar I consumed each and every day.
I’m sorry (and not sorry) if I’ve poked a hole in your delusion by calling you a sugar addict before you’re ready to face it. It’s my job and part of my personality to call a spade a spade and to HELP you become a recovering addict like me!
I never thought I could go DAYS let alone weeks and weeks without bread. But I do now! And no, I rarely, if ever eat that gluten-free bread you can find in the store; mostly because I think it tastes terrible but also because I have found other foods and ways to replace the bread so I don’t even miss it (Ok, I might miss a brioche bun with my burger SOMETIMES…).
So, why am I talking to you about sugar? Well, because it’s a TOXIN that we all need to understand! And because most of us are addicted to it on some level and struggle to sever the hold it has on us.
I’m here to help.
I’ve created a blog series that will dive into four key ways that sugar is ruining your health despite some of your best intentions. Those four areas are:
- Internal inflammation
- Weight and Obesity
- Brain Health – depression, anxiety, and dementia
Over the next four weeks, I’ll post a new blog each week about these topics. My goal is to educate, inspire and yeah, scare you just enough to take action to reclaim control of your health.
If I can quit sugar, you can too! And unlike me, you won’t have to do it alone; I’ll be your guide through this endeavor and help you achieve your own success!
Be on the lookout for next week’s blog on inflammation! It’s going to be an eye-opener and lay the foundation for the other blogs in this series.