I love this soup! Maybe because it came to me courtesy of a dear friend and her family or simply because its super yummy?! Whatever the reason, I love it and it never fails to hit the spot!
Serve with a leafy green salad for a complete and well balanced lunch or light dinner.
- 2 carrots thinly sliced
- 1 cup of diced celery
- 8 ounces of crushed or chopped tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 diced onion
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper *** leave this out for kids
- black pepper and salt to taste
- 4 cups of water, vegetable broth or chicken broth
- ¾ pound of dry brown or red lentils
- Sauté onion, garlic, carrots and celery in a tablespoon or so of extra virgin olive oil until tender (do not overcook).
- Add all ingredients together and simmer for 45 minutes or more until everything is very tender. You might experiment by adding a little bit of curry powder, masala spice or ginger for a more Indian taste.
- If too thick, add more water. You may also add 1 ounce of olive oil or butter for a richer dish, but this adds calories.
- Mix with cooked tubetti pasta, cooked (and cooled) rice or serve as is.
- If you have the spicy version, serve with a side of plain yogurt.