I’ve heard of açaí bowls before but they never peaked my interest much for some reason. And then a few weeks ago I came across a recipe for one and I copied it down thinking maybe I’d make it one day.
So on the hunt for a quick and easy breakfast recently, I decided to try the açaí bowl. It was totally better than I expected! I have no idea what took me so long to try this but I’m pretty sure it won’t be a long time before I make it again.
The best part, it’s extremely VERSATILE! You can substitute all or some of the almond milk for coconut milk, replace chia seeds with hemp or ground flax seed and add any number toppings.
The only “rule” is to ensure you have all the key macronutrients like healthy fat, protein and fiber. I didn’t need any additional sweetener but if you do opt for raw honey or a tiny bit of maple syrup.
One last note — you can make enough for 2 servings by doubling the recipe below and simply remixing the leftover when you are ready to enjoy it.
- 2 frozen açaí packets (I like the Sambazon brand)
- 1 tablespoon organic peanut or almond butter
- 1 frozen banana (use ½ if watching sugar/weight)
- 4 tablespoons of chia seeds
- ½ to 1 cup almond or other non-dairy milk
- 1 scoop protein powder
- Choice of toppings:
- cacao nibs
- bee pollen
- sliced or chopped nuts
- coconut flakes or shredded coconut
- fresh berries
- buckwheat groats, soaked and rinsed
- Soak chia seeds in the almond milk for 5 minutes or until chia seeds become gelatinous
- Add all ingredients including soaked chia seeds to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth
- Pour into bowl and garnish with any or all of the toppings listed above