Unless you live under a rock, ginger is probably not new to you. It’s a staple ingredient in lots of cuisines like Caribbean, Asian and Indian, among others. It’s available fresh in the form of a ginger root, powdered or crystalized. I used to NOT be a fan of it but now I look for opportunities to add it to dishes, sauces, smoothies and teas.
Ginger has been used for centuries to soothe nausea, aid in digestion, fight inflammation and strengthen the immune system. Studies have shown that ginger is better for nausea relief than several over-the-counter anti-nausea medications. In Ayurvedic medicine, ginger is used to boost the immune system by heating up the body and releasing toxins from lungs and sinuses.
An easy way to get your daily dose of ginger is to add it to your favorite smoothie. Here is one of my favorite smoothie recipes that I’ve kicked up a notch with the addition of ginger:
- 1 inch fresh ginger, chopped (more if you dare!)
- 1 cup frozen organic mixed berries
- ½ frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 scoop collagen protein
- 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed
- handful of fresh organic spinach
- palmful of fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon raw honey (optional)
- 1 cup of almond or other non-dairy milk
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender, mix thoroughly and enjoy!