I’m no longer into the latest dietary craze. There was a time however that wasn’t the case and the right words would have me scrambling to find out how to buy the latest miracle. That said, turmeric is the new “IT” spice in the health and wellness world. But unlike a lot of health and wellness stuff, this one is actually backed up by some pretty respectable research.
So what is turmeric? It’s a spice found in curry and recipes all over Asia. One of the great things about this wonder-spice is it’s very mellow flavor. You can sneak it into just about anything and chances are, you won’t taste it. You will however know it’s there because of the distinguishing bright yellow color it’s likely to give your food.
According to a recent article from Mind, Body, Green here are 7 reasons you may want to add this spice to your rotation and try out the recipe at the end:
- Curbs fat growth
- Keeps you young
- Fights infection
- Reduces blood sugar
- Has antidepressant effects
- Protects the liver
- Fights inflammation
How wonderful is Mother Nature to add so much goodness all in one spice? Seriously, if you’re not writing this on your shopping list right now, we need to talk!
You can find curcumin supplements also. I haven’t purchased it in supplement form so I don’t have any specific brand recommendations but I wanted you to be aware of the option. As with most things, getting it in the form nature intended is probably most effective so go ahead and make this recipe. 🙂
- 2 cups organic coconut milk (Native Forrest is my favorite brand)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (needed for the absorption of turmeric)
- 1" piece of ginger, sliced
- raw honey to sweeten, if desired
- In saucepan add all ingredients except honey, if using and whisk to combine
- Heat over medium until it starts to bubble
- Turn down heat to low and simmer about 5 minutes so flavors meld together
- Strain out ginger, add honey and stir
P.S. Apologies for the late delivery on this post — I spent Monday and Tuesday this week in a training out in Phoenix improving my coaching skills to be able to deliver even better service to you!