Tis the season for baking and sharing Christmas cookies! Lots of people do cookie swaps, holiday dessert parties and the like. And to prove this Health Coach isn’t a scrooge on Christmas cookies, today I will share my newish favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe.
But first, let me tell you what makes these cookies so awesome — they’re made with tiger nut flour. Yeah I know, most of you have no idea what that is; neither did until earlier this year so here’s the deal:
Tiger nuts are actually not nuts at all, they’re tubers (small root vegetables like potatoes). Tiger nuts are an ancient superfood originating from Northern Africa & the Mediterranean. What makes these guys so special are their healthful benefits:
TigerNuts are the #1 source of resistant starch, a prebiotic fiber that resists digestion and becomes fuel for our probiotic bacteria. One ounce of TigerNuts has 40% of our daily recommended fiber
TigerNuts are incredibly nutrient dense:
- As much iron as red meat
- As much potassium as coconut water
- High in magnesium, zinc, phosphorus and Vitamins E & C
AND YOU CAN MAKE COOKIES FROM THEM, IT DOESN’T GET BETTER THAN THAT! The nuts are ground into a flour which can be used for all kinds of baking — cookies, breads, dough, etc.
For those of us living a gluten-free lifestyle or just wanting to try something new, these gems prove once again how much Mother Nature supplies exactly and all that we need!
The brand I recommend is Organic Gemini. I love that it’s local (made right her in Brooklyn) and I can restock my pantry with a quick trip to their store in the Meat Packing District if I want to buy directly. But don’t worry, a quick search on their website and you’ll see their products are now carried in a lot of stores around the country, including Whole Foods.
As important as it is to get your daily dose of probiotics, it’s equally important to feed those good bacteria with resistant strain starches like green plantains, cooked and cooled white potatoes, cooked and cooled white rice AND tiger nuts!
Okay, now for the cookie recipe so you can get baking!
Please let me know if you give these a try and what you think about them. I think they are FANTASTIC but since it’s my taste, I could be biased! 🙂
- 1 cup tiger nut flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons Bulletproof Collagen Protein powder (optional but recommended)
- ½ cup Lily's Dark Chocolate Chips (or Enjoy Life chocolate chips)
- ¾ cup tahini (or almond butter)
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 6 tablespoons filtered water, mix and let sit for 10 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line baking tray with parchment paper
- Combine all dry ingredients and mix well. Make sure to sift the tiger nut flour so there aren't any clumps
- Whisk together the wet ingredients and add to the bowl with the dry ingredients (it will be a thick mixture, don't worry!)
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips and mix well (this won't be super easy because of the thickness of the batter, be patient)
- Form into 1 tablespoon sized rounds, flatten with your hands and sprinkle sea salt on top just before popping into the oven
- Bake for 15 minutes, remove from the oven and let cool for as long as you can stand to wait!
- Enjoy with a cup of dairy-free milk!
P.S. I confess that I have eaten as many as 4 of these cookies in a day before — I normally try to limit myself to just 2 but they’re sooooo good! Do your best to control yourself!